Wednesday, January 6, 2010

McToursim

tour⋅ist
–noun

a person who is traveling, esp. for pleasure.




After 34 hours - 26 in a plane, 1 transnational & 2 international flights - I am writing from Australia as an official tourist. I am embracing this label like never before. I needed a break.

After my exams, I had to move out of the cabin and was turning in my key and talking to the RA on duty. We were discussing his trip to S. Africa over the summer and my coming one. I asked if the trip influenced him in wanting to work in Africa and he said he thought about international business. My reflex answer was "ethically?" I later apologized for my cynicism and introduced myself. My Christmas holiday started at that exact moment.

I decided to take my vacation to reflect on my experiences with tourism. How would it compare to Bosnia? Australia has the tourist model down, but the constant theme of consumerism is frustrating. (I have 28 minutes of my computer battery and only half a latte before McDonald's kicks me off their "free wifi.") Theme of the trip: first world tourism requires not only consumerism, but corporate materialism. Four weeks in and six left in the Balkans, considering myself and a veteran of guided tours, I chose to take the mature route. I started taking photos of other travelers. This game has since jumped the border and started down under.

The Winners from the Balkans:



The Classic


Best Dressed

camera + tripod carrier




Touring War


At least my brother tried to blend in


My family as tourists

My favorite: combat boots + matching outfit + backpack with 3 locks!
(He was a professional)

From Australia:


I wish I had some profound conclusion on tourism other than I support it. After all, I am destined to be a chronic one. I spent three months in the Balkans confused while I played both tourist and sojourner. I came to realize that war is now for sale in Bosnia and wondered if sustainable tourism is truly possible. They have turned the disgusting conflict into a new market. If people are willing to buy pieces of the war, at least they will have a souvenir that provokes. If a trip is collapsed into a quest for the ultimate purchase or coolest photo for that year's Christmas card, then why leave home? Where is the line between poorism/"hug-an- orphan-vacations" and informed pilgrim? If people visit a slum as a poorist, it should catalyze critical questions around systemic poverty, structural oppression, etc.
I think we start by looking for the fight/struggle of that country. There is always a pulse below the surface.

2 comments:

Dustin said...

haha.
i like.

Ali said...
This comment has been removed by the author.